Is TFA really the answer to school reform?

As our reading this week past week in Class Warfare can support, Steven Brill passionately believes that reform programs, such as Teach for America or New Leaders for New Schools, is the secret to repairing the public school s system. However, upon personal reflection, I’m not sure if I’m in agreement with Brill.

I’m currently completing the final components of a Social Studies Teaching Certification at Bucknell. For those of you who don’t know, this entails completely a normal Social Science degree in the School or Arts, in my case Economics, as well as completely many education courses. These education courses vary from the development and psychology of a child to how to specifically teach Social Studies or students with learning disabilities. These education courses, however, do not directly address Social Studies’ content specifically (that’s what my Economics courses are for!). Nonetheless, I’m a firm advocate that these courses have strengthened my understanding of what children need and how to best provide this to them. Because of these courses, I’ve learned techniques to engage students, class management skills, and how to simply create a lesson plan. I feel prepared and confident to begin student teaching this coming spring.

On the contrary, TFA participants are lacking all of the above. They basically head into a classroom ‘cold turkey’. Yes, they have their Ivy League education, but lack actual teaching skills- like classroom management. As Jessica Reid recalls, “When one of the fifth graders stood up and danced around, none of the tricks she’d been taught at the TFA academy for regaining the class’s attention worked” (Bill, 2011:20). What’s even more alarming is that Brill documents Reid because she was a TFA participant that preserved. What happens to the TFA participants that don’t ever pick up on the needed skills?

Brill’s overwhelming support for TFA basically demonstrates that four years’ worth of teaching and education courses is unnecessary for teachers. I may be biased from my situation, but I can’t believe that this is true.

You may be thinking, “TFA does provide teacher training through a five-week TFA academy.” However, by Jessica Reid’s story above, one can see the training’s obvious flaws. Michele Rhee, another TFA participant, reinforces this notion through the account, “She was failing so miserably to control her class, let alone teach anything, that two officials…who came to observe her…hinted that Rhee should consider another line of work” (Brill, 2011:21). These accounts show major defects in the TFA structure.

What then is the answer to school reform? I believe that improving the curriculum for educators in a four-year college program will have more long term positive effects on student achievement (however, I know this would never completely solve the problem). If students who wanted to be teachers were given proper education (being taught things like how to track and improve student improvement), in theory, they would become better educators in the long run. I believe that being given all the tools to succeed will enable to teachers to achieve real results with their students.

That being said, improving teacher education will not solve the problem of teachers who lack motivation or teachers that don’t have the content knowledge to get the job done. In my ideal world, education reform would be achieved best by a complete change in the connotations of the teaching profession. If teachers were seen as those who educate those who will bring change in the future or as the most important person influencing future generations (and we’re paid as such), then maybe students at Ivy League schools would be motivated to go into the teaching profession from the get-go and not use fast-track programs like TFA. Does anyone else have thoughts on TFA and the answer to school reform?

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

3 responses to “Is TFA really the answer to school reform?”

1. afeurstn Avatar
    afeurstn

Certainly increasing teacher pay might lure more elite graduates into the teaching field. Short of that, I am wondering what else can be done. Bucknell costs 60K a year and students graduate with an average debt of about 27K. Can BU graduates afford to be teachers under these conditions? I’m sure that other colleges prepare teachers well, but public school kids in the U.S. deserve liberally educated teachers who come from places like Bucknell. What can we learn from TFA about how to get these students into the profession. What can we do to make them stay?

2. Courtney Nelson Avatar
    Courtney Nelson

I don’t think TFA is the answer to our teaching problem, but it does shed a lot of light on some issues with teacher preparation. Yes, the 5-week course is nowhere near adequate preparation to enter a classroom, especially an elementary one. However, TFA teachers that persevere and learn from veteran teachers can become pros. So, while a 4-year teaching degree is nice, it doesn’t substitute for in-class experience, creativity, and outside support and feedback.

3. mmo008 Avatar
    mmo008

I do agree that strengthening the curriculum in a four-year degree education program will have more positive effects than maybe the TFA program, however, I think that this solution is hard to achieve. While I see the downside that TFA can have, I look at it in more of a positive light because I feel it is advancing those lower-income students who are not getting the chance to advance their learning atmosphere like other students are who come from a more non-poverish community. It is much more difficult to get more advanced teachers to give up their standards of living to come to these lesser communities–that is where I think TFA really steps in. The students who participate are gaining that experience that they may not get elsewhere.