“Work Hard. Be Nice.” A Temporary Solution to a Perpetual Problem.

In the past couple readings we’ve been discussing in class, one of the main topics of concern that has come up for myself deals with charter schools; specifically, with charter schools like KIPP. In the video clip we watched in class, KIPP schools came across as huge beacons of hope for underprivileged students across America. Through a strict system of discipline, long school days and years, and extremely passionate and dedicated teachers, KIPP schools have demonstrated that it is indeed possible for students from impoverished areas to break cycles of social immobility.

One thing we talked about in class was how it seems that KIPP schools–to some degree–teach their students how to navigate through systems of oppression and maximize their potential despite many of the social obstacles they face. I think that, on the surface, it may seem that this is the case, however, when I really think about the set-up of KIPP schools, I am slightly disturbed by some of what I see. For example, as we saw in the video, the children attending KIPP schools learn to adhere to an extremely strict and rigid schedule of discipline. This shows in the ways that the students learn to be particularly obedient, to always concede to their elders, and to recite learned knowledge back to teachers and administrators without much evidence of profound critical thought.

The scenes in the video that we watched that support these features strike me as ways of not necessarily preparing young, underprivileged students with ways of overcoming socioeconomic adversity, but with ways of maintaining the status quo. On the one hand, I think that KIPP schools really do do a good job of helping their demography of students work around societal structures that inhibit their potential, the schools don’t do much of inspiring students to actively work towards a society that changes those structures. In this regard, KIPP schools are serving the dominant social classes in America by producing students who are obedient followers. KIPP schools almost seem to be producing children who will go on to take orders from others.

This assertion is certainly not one that comes easily. As we discussed in class, I do believe that–for now–KIPP schools do a grand service for many children. On the other hand, there is still a part of me that wishes they did more in the way of trying to inspire their students to counteract existing social structures that are clearly impeding many peoples’ social mobility. So while the students are learning how to navigate the social structures a little more than they would have at another public school, societal structures will probably continue to remain the same as they are now. This is very self-serving for KIPP schools and the privileged sects of our society because it provides a selling point for KIPP schools to harp on, so I think it might be interesting to see if KIPP schools receive funding from certain corporate businesses or hedge funds.

Finally, I wonder if there will come a time when it is more beneficial for underprivileged students to learn not simply how to manipulate a flawed society, but to learn how to actively fight against a flawed society, to promote change that will then lessen the need for more KIPP schools.

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

8 responses to ““Work Hard. Be Nice.” A Temporary Solution to a Perpetual Problem.”

1. McKenzie Avatar
    McKenzie

Justin,
    I really like all the points and questions you bring up. Since I am also reading a book about KIPP schools for our book presentation, I’ve put a lot of thought into how much schools like these are actually changeling the status quo of education and making true reform efforts. As you said, although charter schools may be “rescuing” children and producing good test results, are these benefits simply coming at the cost of ingraining social order and obedience?
    Upon reflection, this quote keeps coming to mind- “While some see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” I’m afraid that, as you were implying, KIPP schools may be taking away students’ freedom and creativity and instead putting in a system of control and structure. Is this what we want for our school reform? Is more discipline and clear cut rules the missing component to overall school success? I happen to believe quite the opposite- that regimented programs may tame “the crazy ones” who may actually make a difference in this world. Is there a happy medium?

2. Aida Avatar
    Aida

“I wonder if there will come a time when it is more beneficial for underprivileged students to learn not simply how to manipulate a flawed society, but to learn how to actively fight against a flawed society, to promote change that will then lessen the need for more KIPP schools.”

I think that waiting for underprivileged students to gain privilege and then make change is the wrong approach. Once you bring people from the bottom through a system that tears you apart from the underprivileged group into the more privileged group, it becomes even more difficult to find a way to “go back” and asset others or challenge the structure that they are now succeeding in. The funding that is going into the creation of these schools need to go into A NEW PROGRAM. Charter schools are not assisting or aiding the current educational climate in the United States. They are finding ways to perpetuate the capitalist culture successfully by pushing out the bottom class, which just so happens to be mostly populated with people of color, when looking in urban settings. There has to be new approach of creating a more inclusive environment for the underprivileged groups that exist in our society.

3. Abe Feuerstein Avatar
    Abe Feuerstein

For a broad overview of an idea that seemed to work see Wikipedia’s entry on Freedom Schools:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Schools

“Political and educational objectives: The Freedom Schools were conceptualized with both political and educational objectives. Freedom School teachers would educate elementary and high school students to become social change agents that would participate in the ongoing Civil Rights Movement, most often in voter registration efforts. The curriculum adopted was divided into seven core areas that analyzed the social, political, and economic context of precarious race relations and the Civil Rights Movement. Leadership development was encouraged, in addition to more traditional academic skills. The education at Freedom Schools was student-centered and culturally relevant. Curriculum and instruction was based on the needs of the students, discussion among students and teachers (rather than lecturing) was encouraged, and curriculum planners encouraged teachers to base instruction on the experiences of their students.”

4. Bryson Hough Avatar
    Bryson Hough

There are some really good points being brought up here. I like what McKenzie said about how taming the “crazy” ones may actually impede progress in educational equality and I agree that it’s these “crazy” ones that make a difference. To bring up an opposite viewpoint from Aida, I think that it will take someone coming up from the bottom to really bring about a change. It took a black man to bring equality for blacks and it took women to bring about women’s right to vote. In the same way, I think educational equality will also need to be achieved by those who came from a disadvantaged background who experienced what it was like to overcome huge obstacles in order to succeed. Maybe it will be someone from a KIPP academy who gets their leg in the door and shoves it open for others. I think KIPP is a good temporary solution until public schools can be reformed. If you consider the alternatives for poor children in rough neighborhoods, a KIPP academy is a welcome idea. I hope some day, a quality education for disadvantaged youth will not have to be attained by strict regiment and long hours class time.

5. Hannah Bonotto Avatar
    Hannah Bonotto

While KIPP may seem strict, I think there is a strong need for that in our current society. Children of today do not appear to have the same level of respect, patience, obedience, and self-discipline that children of past generations had. Ingraining these in school-aged children is not evil. It may not be fun, but I believe it is necessary.

Going along with this, KIPP is a very helpful program for the current situation. The program teaches students to have more discipline, which will allow them to succeed in the future. People are often in jobs where they do not know the solution to a problem or how to complete a task, but they will know how to treat people in the process. Today, I feel like people are so set on success that they have no problem running over others in their path. KIPP students will know better than this.

6. Dana Avatar
    Dana

Justin, you make some good points about how KIPP schools seem to foster the existing systems of social oppression. I do not doubt that KIPP fosters children who are far less likely to “shake up” the existing social structures.

However, to play devil’s advocate, what if KIPP schools are the solution to the social problems? In other words, if KIPP schools continue to expand across the country, and more and more minority and underprivileged students are able to claw their way to the”top”, eventually there will be so many minorities in positions of power that the social structures that exists today will become obsolete. I do not believe that this manner of changing social structure will be quick, and maybe KIPP schools are not the final solution to our nation’s social injustices, but with time and steady expansion, maybe it is possible for KIPP to truly make a difference.

7. Alex Avatar
    Alex

Justin, I definitely saw KIPP’s tendency to teach material through memorization, “without much evidence of profound critical thought.” I definitely agree that learning is about more than just memorization. However, another thing I saw in the scenes you describe was students using fun, out-of-the-box ways to remember material. While these lessons are simply memorization, the methods used are engaging and seemed to make students more eager to gain knowledge and show it off to others. To me, this indicates that KIPP’s methods may be promoting a love of learning, which I believe is one of the more important aspects of a student’s education. If a student is excited to go to school, they will likely be more engaged, absorb more of the information, and look for sources of knowledge outside of class, such as reading in their free time. This type of commitment and attitude toward learning as a lifelong goal, not just something to do as a kid, is likely to produce the types of young people we are aiming for in our society.

8. Amanda Avatar
    Amanda

Justin, I really like your title of “a temporary solution to a perpetual problem.” I agree that while KIPP does seem to be working now, to me, it does not seem like something that can be implemented on a larger scale. I think that over time there wont be as many teachers who want to put in this amount of work and the students who are as dedicated to this work may not be reflected in the next generation of children. Going along with what Hannah said earlier, our children today are not as obedient, respectful, or patient and who is to say that this will get better as more and more children move into the public education system.

However I agree with her in that right now, KIPP seems to be shaping their students into model citizens and into the people we want in our society. They are instilling a great work ethic in our children and I think that is something to be valued. I think that KIPP schools right now are doing great work and are succeeding in finding teachers and students willing to put in the work and the time to succeed. Although I hope this system will last, I am not sure how that can be possible.