Never-ending Conflict Over Education

The conflict over urban education in the United States has become the center of debate among many political and non-political leaders. Who should have access to quality education and through what means? Some say the current traditional manner in which public education is structured is flawed and should be completely reworked from the ground up. Others argue that the foundation of public education is still stable but politics detracted the amount of resources necessary to ensure quality education. Reading through the beginning chapters of Sarah Carr’s book Hope Against Hope; Three Schools, one City, and the Struggle to Educate America’s Children, I began to put together some of my thoughts regarding the public education system in the U.S. One idea that really resonated with me was her claim that there seemed to be two visions that guided that debate over public education especially when it came to lower socioeconomic communities. The first vision was based on Booker T. Washington’s ideologies. This vision places an emphasis on black finding a home in the nation’s economic structures rather than the political ones. The second vision based off of W.E.B. Du Bois emphasized that Blacks should not try to “fit themselves into an agenda defined by White elites.” Rather, “they should set their own agenda, using their own rules, on their own turf.” This vision emphasizes political over economic investment.

Relating these to education, the first vison gives credit to schools simpler to the KIPP charter schools that are being established across the States. It echoes the goal of finding a way to be successful economically regardless of racial setbacks. The second vision gives credit to movements that attempt to combat the unfair systems that perpetuate poverty among all humans in the U.S. Both of these mindsets have their appeal but both also highlight some major disadvantage that minorities have regardless of what vision they choose to act on. While it can help some minorities attain a semblance of economic equality, the economically oriented vision only perpetuates the dehumanizing system that forces many others to be in a constant state of poverty. The vision that emphasizes political attempts a valiant effort to combat the unjust systems but when put into reality, there is only so much that prisoners of such an entrenched system can do without the help of those in control of the system. From an educational point of view, supporting the KIPP schools would be acquiescing to the system in hopes of “making it” economically. Fighting the reform of the founding of such schools would be attempting to restructure the very foundation of the United States. Frankly I do not think this is possible anytime soon. So what is the answer? How do we achieve quality education for the children of America?

Posted

in

by

Tags:

Comments

21 responses to “Never-ending Conflict Over Education”

1. Melissa Avatar
    Melissa

Disclaimer (just in case)- Consider my comment food for thought. Mary’s post asks for ideas. Here is one.

Mary, your questions are great. My thoughts are racing! I think that this question boils down to priority and sacrifice. My theory: the ideologies of Booker T. Washington and Du Bois are steps in the same movement.

Education should be invigorating and a complete learning experience for all. Yes, it should allow everyone to learn and explore the classic core concepts but also learn about themselves, their history, and their culture, equally. We have all sat in an American classroom before. The way education is written, the material that makes up its bulk, the way things are prioritized, the events we study, the practices in a classroom, word choice, everything is biased. Bias is inevitable. My argument is that it may be too heavily predisposed to serve a single group of students. (For anyone who may be shaking their head, all I am aiming for is space on the decision-making table.)

In order to address the very make-up of education, I think we need to follow up on T. Washington’s lead. In short, we need to focus on easing income inequality first. My thought process is that with social mobility, perspectives and interests will be recognized. I hope this recognition brings forth significantly increased political power, and a say in real minority-student needs. Taking this first step, however, requires sacrifice (the truly equal educational needs of a few generations, maybe) and priority.

This isn’t very ‘scholarly’ and I have no references to base my ideas but I always thought KIPP was so rebellious and punk-rock, if you will. They know what they have to do to play the system! They teach their students what is necessary to “succeed”. As we have learned, sometimes that means teaching to the test. I cannot phrase it in any other way other than ‘you do what you have to do’. To end my theory, increasing “success” rates will open doors. There will be an opportunity to work on the second item: equal multicultural educational.

Playing the system today may make it possible for future children to learn for their own benefit, without a single sacrifice.

2. mdo006 Avatar
    mdo006

Melissa, I think we both know from previous discussions we have had that I couldn’t agree with you more. To me, the education system in the United States is structured in such a way that perpetuates the obscene disparities that exist among those living in the country. I do not discount the fact that education in this nation is perhaps better (depending on how one defines “better”) than what I would receive anywhere else based on my origin but the fact remains that I, as an African, who associates with the African American community am cheated out of quality education that prepares me for a comfortable life. Having identified this problem, all I can do, as you mentioned is prioritize what is important to me: financial success or a sense of fulfillment that comes from fighting and advocating for my rights and the rights of those who face similar acts of segregation. I also have to realize that regardless of which choice I make, there will be significant consequences. The questions I ask myself are: “Do I want to be selfish and focus on my personal gain or do I want to focus on what can benefit the population as a whole?” and “Which consequences are less detrimental to me and my future generation?”

3. McKenzie Avatar
    McKenzie

Mary,

I’m glad you brought this topic back up about the debate between Washington’s and Du Bois’s opposing visions on education. I happen to frame each stance slightly different than you did in that charter schools support Du Bois’s vision instead of Washington’s. This is because charter schools are defying typical public schooling that is “an agenda defined by White elites.” Rather, charter schools are “setting their own agenda, using their own rules, on their own turf.”

When using this mindset, charter schools may be so bad after all. Charters (although an ideal and perfect model has yet to be established) have the potential to set their own rules and practices, specifically chartering toward African Americans if they so chose. In this light, charters can break the conformity of typical public schools and create a new agenda with their own rules. As the documentary we watched noted, New Orleans has become a system of schools rather than a school system. Perhaps, allowing African American leaders to start a charter school with their own values in a system of many different schools may be the answer to addressing school reform and inequalities.

Just playing the devil’s advocate to your position here.

4. Hannah Avatar
    Hannah

Melissa and Mary, I have enjoyed reading your discussion here about education disparity that stems from race and social inequalities in our country. Melissa, I completely agree with you that for now we may just have to play the system and do what you have to do to get where you want to be. I mean, we all did that in getting to Bucknell. We took part in the right extracurricular activities to put on our applications but not too many so as to keep our grades high. We took the SAT and maybe even a prep class or purchased a book on the test. Some of our public education system’s problems, I believe, stem from the institutions above them (colleges and universities) and not just themselves.

Some more food for thought…is it worth trying to fix our education system right now when there is still such social, racial, and economic inequalities in our nation? Do we need to fix those before our education systems can have a true impact?

5. Hannah Avatar
    Hannah

McKenzie, your idea of allowing African American leaders to start their own charter school and gear it toward their own values in order to address school reform and inequalities brings up the question as to what values schools are currently being modeled after. My initial reaction was that schools are created without a bias in values and are trying to teach students what most could agree are good morals. However, with more thought on the subject, I agree with what Melissa wrote above and spoke about in class today. The whole system is biased. The idea that the values and culture of minority students need to change to fit the “mold” shows this bias. Students must conform to the values instilled by their administration. These values would most likely be in accordance with the cultural background of the majority of the administrators. This, however, brings me to my final point and response. If students want the American dream, do they need to fit the American mold? Or are we in an open “land of opportunity” for all students? We cannot truly address the educational problems in today’s public schools unless we know our goal.

6. Courtney Avatar
    Courtney

McKenzie,

While I agree that the idea behind charter schools fits DuBois’s ideology, I have found that in reality, charter schools tend to be going along the same path of perpetuating racial inequality. When the administration that runs the school, as well as the teachers, do not represent the community they serve, we have a problem (as we see in Arizona and New Orleans). Like we talked about in class, it seems like charter schools perpetuate the idea that whites have all the answers and should be the authority when it comes to fixing the system.

When the administration comes from the neighborhood, knows the problems they have faced, and are determined to change the course of education in that area, that is when I think they will be successful. I predict that not only will they see success in the educational goals that they set for their kids (students will probably learn better from people they can relate to), but they will also see kids turning current social ideas on their heads. No, whites don’t have all the answers. Yes Latina or African American kids from difficult neighborhoods can make it to Harvard and succeed. The flood of outside (and typically well-to-do white) influences into New Orleans probably hurts the idea of racial equality, in that the kids aren’t seeing people from their own community pick them up. To them it might look like they’re not good enough, so the white people have to come in.

But then again, if these outside influences are succeeding in educating the kids, then it may be up to the next generation to set right those social wrongs.

7. Courtney Avatar
    Courtney

Hannah, Melissa, and Mary,

I agree with you all about how we might just need to play the system now in order to change the system later. However, I only think that this works if we do actually try to change the system later. I feel like what so often happens is that we follow and play along with the system, and then because the system works, we just keep doing what we’re doing.

The struggle is between finding the balance between it all, and I think we’ve started to find that balance when we start to think about these issues and discuss with each other. We might not be able to make much of a difference right now, but I think we have the tools to make an impact in the future if we make a commitment and stick with it.

8. Alex Avatar
    Alex

This chain has been really interesting for me to follow and see everyone’s ideas. I agree that many people succeed by ‘playing the system,’ which I’m not saying is necessarily a bad thing. However, I can’t help but think that if enough people “succeed” by methods such as teaching to the test, will they later have the tools to succeed in the real world, or to change things for the future? When we’ve talked about programs like KIPP and Sci Academy, we have noted that these schools do not leave much space for social or creative development. I have to question if by playing the system, our students may actually be left at a deficit, based on the failings of ‘the system’ to account for so many of the essentials our students need that are not testable.

9. Alex Avatar
    Alex

We ran out of time in class yesterday, but I also liked Melissa’s point about the curriculum and the student body matching up (or not). I do think that no matter which population is the majority in a particular school or classroom, curriculum should not be fully changed to accommodate them. My inclination is to make curriculum (particularly in terms of literature, history, and similar topics) spread out among many areas and histories. I can say that my education in these topics was almost entirely based around white European and American Christians. Information about other groups was only conveyed in terms of their relations with this group (Africa and the Caribbean was only spoken of in terms of the slave trade, other religions were usually only taught in terms of religious wars, etc). While it is important for people of certain religious, cultural, or ethnic groups to know their own history, accommodating them tends to leave out whatever the minority in their classroom is.

10. Dana Avatar
    Dana

It has been noted several times through this thread that it is possible to have minorities succeed in our current educational system and have the system reworked “eventually” or for “later generations”. However, the ideology of Booker T. Washington, which has been around for over a century, advocated this same idea and we know that now, the wealth disparity (and educational disparity) in this nation is worse than it has been for generations. So when are we going to put this “changing the social structure of education later” idea to rest, and have a generation take action?

I can theorize that this idea perpetual problem partially stems from our extremely individualistic ideals that we hold close to in the United States. The allowing of minority groups to have equal opportunities in education means that privileged groups will have to lose some of their advantages and resources. It seems as though people are too selfish in this nation and want success for themselves more than they want to see success for groups as a whole. Mary noted in a comment on this thread how she struggled with this idea as well. I think that the root of this problem boils down to, when is the American individual going to be willing to sacrifice for the betterment of the whole?

11. Amanda Avatar
    Amanda

Hannah,

I agree with you in questioning whether we should fix our education system when these other inequalities still exist in our nation as a whole. Maybe these social, racial, and economic inequalities need to be fixed outside of the school before we focus on trying to fix these inequalities within the schools. Perhaps even fixing those first will in turn decrease these inequalities within our education systems?

However, how long have these social, racial, and economic inequalities existed? Though we have come a very long way since the civil rights movement, these inequalities are still here and we have created even more to differentiate ourselves from people who aren’t like us. How long is it going to take for us to actually fix these problems within our nation, let alone our schools?

12. Amanda Avatar
    Amanda

Alex,

I agree with your idea to make the curriculum spread out among many areas and histories however do we have the time and resources for this? I agree that this would be an ideal situation but what happens when we have a very diverse school with students of European, African-American, Latin-American, and Asian descent? How can we shape one history class around reflecting all of these students backgrounds? It is clear that resources are scarce and some schools cannot afford to have more than one type of history class or more than one type of book available for their students. How can we appreciate and teach all of these students backgrounds within a public school that might not have the resources to do so?

13. Zac Avatar
    Zac

Mary,

Very interesting post here; I couldn’t help but think about some stuff we talked about in EDUC 318: Multiculturalism. Specifically, I am reminded of a book by Prudence Carter, called “Keepin’ it Real: School success beyond black and white.” In it, Carter outlines three groups of racial and ethnic minorities in regards to education and opportunity: cultural mainstreamers, noncompliant believers, and cultural straddlers. Noncompliant believers believe that education is important, but often feel that academic success is part of the “white domain” – or the dominant racial group. Cultural mainstreamers understand that prejudice does exist, but believe that if they work hard enough they can overcome these prejudices. The third category pertains to – as the title might suggest – students who kind of fall in between the previous two categories. Specifically, this category is defined by students who recognize that the idea of academic success is something that belongs to the dominant race, but also do not want to lose sight of their identity as a minority student. Carter refers to these differences as dominant cultural capital and non-dominant cultural capital. So, a cultural straddler is aware that in order to be successful in most school settings he or she has to play to the dominant culture’s rules. That is, speak in proper English, dress and behave a certain way, etc.

Now to tie this in to what you were talking about, Mary. In some ways, I see the cultural straddlers as falling into the category you mention where students are taught to play the system. And, while cultural straddlers understand the inequality here, it is a major problem that anyone should have to ‘code-switch’ between dominant and nondominant cultural capitals. The way our society is structured, a racial or ethnic minority pretty much HAS to abide by the system in order to succeed (and this often requires a change of self-identity).

14. Alex Avatar
    Alex

Dana, I agree that America definitely has a strong culture of individuality and many people are unwilling to help others (with the implication that they will be giving something up themselves). There is a pervasive sense of entitlement that in some ways probably does stem from (or at least relate to) the racial differences we’ve seen, particularly in urban areas. The idea of socialism is so negative in America, though all it really refers to is a concern for the social consequences of a capitalist economy. I think that this relates a lot to the issues regarding taxing for public education that we’ve talked about in class. Our country has so much hesitation to fund education for “other people’s” kids–until this changes, there will be issues with providing a quality, well-funded education for all students.

15. Melinda Avatar
    Melinda

I love the end of this comment, Hannah. “Do we need to fix those before our education systems can have a true impact?” I think yes, of course. There are so many racial and social inequalities that arise when it comes to education, but is this a reflection upon education, or is this a reflection upon our society? If we take a step back and examine the world we live in, there are so many inequalties that surround just about everything. Because education is so prevalent and exists everywhere, it is so easy to place blame on institutions and say that people are simply playing along with the system, but how do we change that without changing our society in general? I guess you could say I play into this by attending a private institution that costs and arm and a leg, leaving it unfair to those who do not have the resources to attend this University, but should I take a step back and not have chosen Bucknell in order to try and erase these inequalities?

16. mdo006 Avatar
    mdo006

Zac,

Your point about minorities being forced to abide by the system in order to succeed is exactly what I am trying to address when I say that perhaps the KIPP schools are the best option for students of marginalized ethnicity especially when their whole life goal is to be successful. I do approve of the unequal system of education and frankly do not care much for programs such as the KIPP schools but when I think of what it takes to be successful as an African American woman, I see these programs as some of the very limited opportunities for success economically.

17. afeurstn Avatar
    afeurstn

I have been reading this thread with great interest! I’m really pleased with the well thought out perspectives that everyone is putting forward. I think you have all touched on some of the central issues that the charter school movement raises. Is it revolutionary and democratic? Or, is it imperialist and autocratic? Here are my concerns. I know I’ve shared them before, but I can’t help myself:

When corporations and big time philanthropists are backing the movement I believe there is reason to be suspicious. As much as I would like to think that corporations and billionaires do things just because they are good people, I am more compelled by the idea that the money is designed to create a new product and a new market that they will eventually use to make even more money. Here the focus of their efforts is something that should belong to everyone — public education — and the goal I’m afraid is to turn it into a product to be purchased. I see charter schools as a stepping stone to vouchers. Vouchers means that we all get to purchase the education that we think is best for us. This might be OK if public education wasn’t the only institution with the potential to teach folks to be critical citizens. What happens when their is nothing unifying to hold the nation together?

I also appreciate the thread of the argument that some of you have been putting forward about the way KIPP and other similar forms of education are doing a good job teaching folks the “rules of the game” and thus creating opportunities for success that might one day result in real change. Part of me believe that this is a really powerful and revolutionary idea. As Melissa suggested, seeing a myth debunked is perhaps the most powerful experience of all and it allows folks to project themselves into different circumstances and see the path that can be followed to get there. On the other hand, I also wonder what happens when people arrive on the other side of success. Is it worth the pain and suffering? Here I’m drawn to the words of the civil rights activist Audre Lorde who said something like “the master’s tools can never be used to dismantle the master’s house.” I think she said this in part, because she saw activists getting co-opted in various ways playing the game on the terms of the dominant power structure. Following this logic, KIPP may be will well intentioned, but my concern is that they are creating some really good rule followers. (No doubt the public system does this too — I teach another course that is all about critiquing public schools.) Recall that schools for middle class students (Carr even makes the case that KIPP schools that server more middle class clientele are different) rarely focus on the kinds of behavioral lessons that KIPP is trying to teach. To some degree, middle class kids are taught to question authority and to demand their due. I see this at Bucknell a lot — many Bucknell students feel very comfortable asking for extensions, arguing over grades etc. While I find it annoying, I think it reveals a mindset that the world can be bent to one’s purposes — not the other way around.

18. afeurstn Avatar
    afeurstn

Here is an interesting poem about Booker T. and W.E.B. DuBois that I read in graduate school that seeks to characterize the positions of these important figures:

Booker T. and W.E.B.

by Dudley Randall

“It seems to me,” said Booker T.,
    “It shows a mighty lot of cheek
    To study chemistry and Greek
    When Mister Charlie needs a hand
    To hoe the cotton on his land,
    And when Miss Ann looks for a cook,
    Why stick your nose inside a book?”

“I don’t agree,” said W.E.B.
    “If I should have the drive to seek
    Knowledge of chemistry or Greek,
    I’ll do it. Charles and Miss can look
    Another place for hand or cook,
    Some men rejoice in skill of hand,
    And some in cultivating land,
    But there are others who maintain
    The right to cultivate the brain.”

“It seems to me,” said Booker T.,
    “That all you folks have missed the boat
    Who shout about the right to vote,
    And spend vain days and sleepless nights
    In uproar over civil rights.
    Just keep your mouths shut, do not grouse,
    But work, and save, and buy a house.”

“I don’t agree,” said W.E.B.
    “For what can property avail
    If dignity and justice fail?
    Unless you help to make the laws,
    They’ll steal your house with trumped-up clause.
    A rope’s as tight, a fire as hot,
    No matter how much cash you’ve got.
    Speak soft, and try your little plan,
    But as for me, I’ll be a man.”

“It seems to me,” said Booker T.–

“I don’t agree,”
    Said W.E.B.

19. Aida Avatar
    Aida

I think it can be overwhelming to think about this topic as a person of color, because it is as if you are reading theories that are based on your life. Towards the end of Mary’s post I felt this sense of overwhelmingness. I want to say that there is really no right answer or straight solution to this issue of education. Like Professor Feurestien Mentioned the other day, this is a complicated issue. Personally, I believe that political achievement cannot be met until there is economic equality. How will I be able to campaign or voice my opinions if I don’t have the funding or resources for a platform to do so? I don’t see economic gains being limited to money either, it is all about the social capital that an individual has and how valuable that social capital is in a particular society. With poor people of color in the Unites States, there is plenty of social capital but it does not have the same value or credit when applied to the US educational system. There is an issue here, since economically children of color are deemed less valuable than white children. So what are the option from here? I think one of them would be to assimilate and “white wash” children of color to be raised in an environment that enforce white upper-middle class cultural values . This is what the KIPP program does and many other college property charter school programs essentially do. It is a process of training and molding youth of non-white, low income backgrounds to “attain” certain skills that are more valuable to the American educational system. This comes at a cost since children of color are inevitable separated from their families and communities through the extended hours dedicated to/required from the charter school system. This is essentially making students of color less like their “original” selves and their original communities and more like the upper-middle class white population. This world well for some students but again they are only gaining through their career life and their academics and economical life. Socially, assimilated children of color will not really “fit in” and will never completely identify with their original communities or their white college bound peers. This is the first option. The second option is protest and rejection of the movement to assimilate. This path is a lot more difficult since it requires the collaboration of many people of color and those from the low-socioeconomic group to work together and bring together their social capital, since individually their social capital is not worth much. This is happening as well, as we have seen in past films with parents protesting to gentrification and the shutting down of public schools in Chicago. These communities are well aware that their children are being stuffed into public schools that don’t have enough resources to support the amount of individuals that attend the institutions. There is less support on this end/option economically and politically since it challenges the current political-economy that exist.
    Overall, I think that both W. E. B. Dubois and Booker T. Washington. They both only provide half of a solution to problems that are tightly integrated into one another. As long as you have economic/social/political differences between citizens in the US, education will always and continue to fail children. Until you can ensure that all children are fed healthy food of quality, provided proper health care, bathed and given resources for proper hygiene, and sleep in safe environments and live under a roof, there will always be an issue with providing proper education in the US.

20. Hillary LeDesma Avatar
    Hillary LeDesma

I can see where you struggle on the topic come from. We live in a capitalist society of constant competition to be the best and the most successful. If we stop and try to fix the system, we ourselves will fall behind in the competition. In a way we would be risking our own gain and position in the race for success. But it is important to remember that radical change is radical because it turned the system on its head. Although it may not be very profitable to help change and work within the education system right now, it has the capacity, if done right, to change the live for many students in the future. It is terrible to think that capitalism has made these two ideas competing: whether to help the system, or play the game towards success.

21. Hillary LeDesma Avatar
    Hillary LeDesma

I agree with this idea and you raise up important questions. Because we ourselves have been embedded in the American public education system, it is easy to ignore and not realize the bias by which we have been taught. That there is a present cultural capital from which students must attain. The problem is that a certain cultural capital is seen as more valuable, ignoring the fact that everyone has cultural capital. The system has placed a certain value system within the cultural capitals that exist. This easily means that some cultures teach their children that it is respectful to look an adult in the eyes when they are speaking to them, but this is not true for all cultures. In some cultures this is seen as disrespectful. So when this student enters the classroom and refuses to look their teacher in the eye, they are automatically labeled as a problem student. This them follows them throughout their educational career. I think this example speaks to the importance of not only changing the system, but allowing educators the opportunity to learn and understand the many culture their student comes from and appreciating them. Not trying to change them to fit the American standard school expectation.